Thursday, October 29, 2009

Reading and Writing Sites

Here are some great sites that will help teen EFL students hone their reading and writing skills. Let me know if you have any others to add to this list!

1.) Topics An Online Magazine for Learners of English
I especially liked issue #21 because there are 6 readings about wearing uniforms. All of my students have to wear uniforms everyday so they would be able to relate to these articles.


2.) 5 Minute English
This is a great site that offers stories on a variety of topics and include reading comprehension questions. They are mostly at the intermediate level. One reading that I would use for my adolescents in Korea would be "Night Study Becoming Par for Course in S. Korea". This article consists of 10 sentences. Each sentence has one grammatical error and the students are to identify the error. This story is about the growing obsession of education in Korea and how tired students get while pouring over their books. This would relate to my students since they are enrolled in an English after school program.


3.) The Learning Network: Teaching and Learning with the New York Times
I love this site!!!! It features recent news items which are suitable for students 13 years of age and older. There are opinion polls that allow students to comment on issues in the news. This is a great way to practice writing skills authentically. There are also daily news quizzes and cloze exercises to aid in reading comprehension.

4.) ESL Monkeys
This site features an English story reading room that would benefit teenage EFL learners. I especially liked the story titled, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid," which is about a 7th grade boy and how he deals with school and home life. Through this story EFL teens are able to gain insight into teenage life in the U.S. I think this is a great way to introduce them to the target language culture.


5.) Sticky Ball.net Resources for the frustrated teacher
This is a great site that has worksheets and activities to help hone writing skills, which are essential for students who wish to take TOEFL. This site includes quite a bit of material that focuses on transitions, sentence patterns, and essay writing.

6.) Writing Prompts
This site features a list of writing prompts that are suitable for middle school students.

1 comment:

  1. These are really awesome resources, Crystal! I especially like the first site -- the on-line magazine. The article about Welders Without Borders especially caught my eye as something that would be interesting to my students.
    http://www.topics-mag.com/edition24/welding/welders_without_borders.htm

    This magazine is exactly the sort of thing my students would enjoy reading! I like the New York Times site as well, but I was a little disappointed with what I found in the ESL Monkey and Sticky Ball websites. I found that most of the material was either kind of dry or quite difficult for most of my students. I should give them another chance, though. I´ll look at them and the Pearson Longman website again as soon as I get a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete